Labels

writing (4) Theater (3) health (3) Armistead Maupin (2) Friends (2) Hot Men (2) Job (2) Photos of Me (2) money (2) photography (2) tragedy (2) work (2) 15 (1) Barbra (1) Blog (1) Daddies (1) Desire (1) Dogs (1) Genius (1) Hands (1) Homophobia (1) Lazy (1) Love (1) Miles (1) Moving (1) Naps (1) Oregon Bears (1) Single Life (1) Story ideas (1) Tales of the City (1) True Blood (1) auditions (1) bloggers (1) books (1) death (1) fabulousness (1)

Friday, September 24, 2010

Pagliacci & Carmina Burana


I saw the dress rehearsal Wednesday night, and I'm going again tonight for the opening.  I don't think I've ever enjoyed an opera more than this production of Pagliacci.  It's only about 70 minutes long, full of drama and action and a gorgeous score.  I really loved it!  When Canio launches into the Vesti la giubba at the end at the end of Act One, it was a real thrill.


The second half of the evening is Carl Orff's CARMINA BURANA which I had never seen, or even really heard, except for the iconic "O Fortuna" and the gorgeous "In Trutina" - click those links and listen!  The piece is interpreted by Portland modern dance company Bodyvox and is a thrilling companion to Pagliacci.  The idea is that Carmina Burana is what goes through Canio's mind as he stands over the bodies of Nedda and Silvio, whom he has just murdered.  It's all very brilliant.

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Don't think I've ever heard 'Pag' complete - but I'm obviously missing out on something worthwhile. You make a very grand argument for it.
    Not so Carmina B. It suddenly became very well-known here in the 70s and is now perhaps over-performed, to the detriment of Orff's other works (of which I can't name a single one off the top of my head - and I'm not going to cheat!) But C.B. really is a great experience - and so very different from other oratorios.
    Linking the two works together in the way you describe sounds pretty nifty, especially as you say that it works so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to lose my Opera virginity I guess. I just figured up to this point better to have a cherry in something!

    ReplyDelete