Labels

writing (4) Theater (3) health (3) Armistead Maupin (2) Friends (2) Hot Men (2) Job (2) Photos of Me (2) money (2) photography (2) tragedy (2) work (2) 15 (1) Barbra (1) Blog (1) Daddies (1) Desire (1) Dogs (1) Genius (1) Hands (1) Homophobia (1) Lazy (1) Love (1) Miles (1) Moving (1) Naps (1) Oregon Bears (1) Single Life (1) Story ideas (1) Tales of the City (1) True Blood (1) auditions (1) bloggers (1) books (1) death (1) fabulousness (1)

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tales

I am a HUGE fan of writer Armistead Maupin.  Not only for his Tales of the City series of books, but his other books as well:  Maybe the Moon and The Night Listener.  If you haven't read the Tales books, well...you must.

If you have read them, then surely you know there was another Tales book released a couple of years ago, called Michael Tolliver Lives.   That book just made me sit and weep with joy, because it was great, and also because it was the only book I'd ever read that addressed the lives of people like me:  Older gay guy who has survived hiv (so far). 

Well, now I have learned - and I am THRILLED to let you know (if you haven't heard)....MR. MAUPIN IS DOING YET ANOTHER TALES OF THE CITY BOOK!!!!   It's called Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City Novel, and it is being released in November.  I am beyond excited.  I am beside myself.  I can't wait til November.

Between now and then, I will re-read ALL the Tales books.

Interestingly, Armistead Maupin claimed that the last book, Michael Tolliver Lives, was NOT a Tales of the City novel, even though the characters were all Tales characters  I presume he didn't want it compared to the rest of the series, for some reason.  But this new novel has Tales of the City in the title, so...I think we can conclude that Michael Tolliver was a Tales book.

There is also a stage musical adaptation of Tales in the works...can NOT wait for that!

Love me some Tales.  Thank you, Mr. Maupin!

2 comments:

  1. I agree I love the tales books. I was actually introduced to them by watching the Tales series on PBS, loved it so went on to read all of the books and yes even Michael Toliver lives, so I am elated to hear the news of the upcoming Mary Ann book.
    OBTW... Olympia Dukakis was a fabulous Anna Madrigal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started reading these, only to get distracted and stop - I must read them! particularly as when I was growing up, my nickname was "Mouse"

    ReplyDelete