Labels

writing (4) Theater (3) health (3) Armistead Maupin (2) Friends (2) Hot Men (2) Job (2) Photos of Me (2) money (2) photography (2) tragedy (2) work (2) 15 (1) Barbra (1) Blog (1) Daddies (1) Desire (1) Dogs (1) Genius (1) Hands (1) Homophobia (1) Lazy (1) Love (1) Miles (1) Moving (1) Naps (1) Oregon Bears (1) Single Life (1) Story ideas (1) Tales of the City (1) True Blood (1) auditions (1) bloggers (1) books (1) death (1) fabulousness (1)

Monday, May 17, 2010

Gotta Move

Well, it's that time of year again.  The time of year when I obsess about wanting to move to a new city.  Like the song "Gotta Move" says:

Gotta move, got to get out
Gotta leave this town 
Gotta find some town
Some big new town
Some bright new town
Some new town with new places new lights
And most of all some new faces 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udpu1jIxoX


Portland is a perfectly good city.  It's beautiful, progressive, full of art and music, bridges and rivers.  I have some good friends here and am fairly well-known in various communities:  Bears, Theater, etc.

But I just can't shake this feeling that I will never meet anyone here for a relationship (I'm entering my second decade as a single person).  And I do get tired of the rain.  Yes, it makes everything green and pretty and the air is fresh and clean.  But it rains A LOT here.

There are other cities where my income would go a lot farther, I'm thinking about Ft. Worth or St. Louis.  Maybe Austin.  My mother would like me closer to her, in Sacramento, but that city is, well, NOT progressive.  It is, however, close to San Francisco and Reno and L.A....a great city for going to other places. 

I'll be 50 in 3 years.  If I'm going to move somewhere, I think I need to do it by then. 

Until I make a decision, though, I'll be obsessively checking this website:  http.www.bestplaces.net.  I love this site for being able to compare cost of living between cities, and the other tools on the site.

Have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Well I'll pout if you go, but I know how it feels to want to land someplace new. I just moved here! Like I said before, it is also possible that Mr. Right-for-Mark will arrive here before you give up. You never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness knows where you should move. I think it best to move where you think you would be happy (viz. the climate) and then hope for the best?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just don't move to an Island! ;)
    I agree with Spo....where would you be happy?
    Or...What Would Scooby Do?

    ReplyDelete