Labels

writing (4) Theater (3) health (3) Armistead Maupin (2) Friends (2) Hot Men (2) Job (2) Photos of Me (2) money (2) photography (2) tragedy (2) work (2) 15 (1) Barbra (1) Blog (1) Daddies (1) Desire (1) Dogs (1) Genius (1) Hands (1) Homophobia (1) Lazy (1) Love (1) Miles (1) Moving (1) Naps (1) Oregon Bears (1) Single Life (1) Story ideas (1) Tales of the City (1) True Blood (1) auditions (1) bloggers (1) books (1) death (1) fabulousness (1)

Monday, November 15, 2010

Some Theater and Some Books

This past weekend I acted in two plays for a reader's theater here in town.  The plays were "Captive Audience" by David Ives and "The Actor's Nightmare" by Christopher Durang.  The whole process, from being cast through rehearsals and performance lasted only one week.  It's the kind of theater where you have no set, very little movement and keep your script in hand. I didn't know anything about "reader's theater" until this project last weekend, but I thought it was fun.  The audiences seemed to like it.  I'd be happy to do it again.

Also in town this weekend was Armistead Maupin!  He came to Powell's Books to discuss, read from and sign his new Tales of the City book, Mary Ann in Autumn.  SO EXCITING to have a new "Tales" book!  I feel like a believer who just discovered a new Gospel has been added to the Good Book.  I love them so much.

I didn't get to hear Armistead read from or discuss the book, though, as I was at the theater doing the above-mentioned plays.  As soon as I had bowed my bow, I rushed out the door and ran the three blocks to Powell's, raced up to the 3rd floor...and he was still there, signing the very last person in line's book.  If I'd had to wait for a traffic light to change, I would have missed him.  He looked tired and frazzled, so I didn't bother him much, just got my book signed and exchanged pleasantries.  Can't wait to read it.  I'm almost afraid to start, because I know I won't stop, and then it'll be finished. 

I also picked up the new Stephen King collection of novellas called Full Dark, No Stars.  The first story, 1922, is just amazing.  That word - amazing - is so ridiculously overused, but it is the only word that really captures the genius and artistry of this story.

I recommend both of these books HIGHLY, and if you haven't read the Tales of the City books, well....I sort of envy you.  Because they lie ahead for you, glittering and wonderful.  Read them!

10 comments:

  1. We just purchased this book
    I STILL have to read them, starting at book one.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the 'Tales of the City' series three times to date (always in chronological order, of course.) Yes, Wonderful!, even if they are very much 'of their time'. I'm ready now for a 4th such journey of pleasure.
    Sadly I've not read any other Maupin - yet!

    Thanks for the recommendation of the Stephen King. He very much blows hot and cold with me, his more recent works not having the high-standard consistency of his earlier efforts, especially during the 1980s, up to but NOT including 'the Dark Tower' novels. Last month I read his short story collection 'Everything's Eventual'. Some of them are REALLY good. When he's at his best he is still unbeatable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are AMAZING!
    Sorry could not resist, but do mean it.
    I have not yet bought Mary Ann in Autum but will probably pick it up this weekend. I love all of the tales books as well as the series. No one can come close to Olympia Dukakis as Mrs. Madrigal.
    Steven King I enjoyed many a year ago in his early days but lost the interest as his work seemed to lose it's quality. Maybe I will have to try him again to see if he got his MOJO back.
    Good to see your post, Miss you when you are quiet.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to say that I'm with Shawn above in every word of his. (Not too often that one reads exactly what one could have written oneself!)
    Re: Films of 'Tales of the City'. We only saw the first two instalments here, and I've only just seen that 'Further Tales' was also filmed in 2001. I agree that Olympia D. could never be bettered as Mrs Madrigal, though I wasn't the only one here who thought that Marcus D'Amico's replacement as Michael Tolliver wasn't anywhere near as good as the former's, who had looked so right. I've no doubt you also heard what I did in an interview with the then 'tired and frazzled' author, that D'Amico was given the boot as he was a gay actor who refused to 'come out' even though he was playing a character proud of and enjoying his own sexuality. Pity that it was a portrayal that his actor successor couldn't quite live up to. Maybe you disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, Ray, I don't disagree. D'Amico was the perfect actor for Michael "Mouse" Tolliver. I was disappointed to see that he hadn't carried on the role, but I figured it had been his choice. How interesting that he "got the boot" for the reason you share! I didn't mind the new Michael, though, I thought he was cute with his twinkly blue eyes and moustache. I liked his little southern drawl, too. I didn't know you had interviewed Mr. Maupin. Are you a journalist?
    More than the replacement of a Marcus D'Amico, I missed Chloe Webb carrying on as Mona Ramsey. She was so perfect. Still, the movie versions have been great - thank you Laura Linney! - and I wish they would continue making them, while we still have the wonderful Ms. Dukakis to keep playing Anna Madrigal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ever since I was a boy my family nickname was "Mouse".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well then you will love reading at all about Michael "Mouse" Rock...I mean Tolliver!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark, found your blog through Ur-spo. Just wanted to say Hello from Rome, It.

    Laurent

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, Mark, for my late response to yours of 21st. Apologies for not wording it very well but it was in a TV interview with the author about 5 years ago where he spoke of the reason why the good-looking, but sadly too coy, Marcus D'Amico was not re-offered the part of Michael Tolliver after the first series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas !
    I hope to see you posting more in 2011, for I miss you!

    ReplyDelete